Do you need to bleed your radiators?
Do you need to bleed your radiators? Have you caved and put your heating on? Are you cosy and warm or doesn’t it seem to be making enough of a difference? Walking past your radiator, your run your hand along it to feel it’s cold at the top and blazing hot at the bottom? It could mean you need to bleed your radiators because there’s air trapped in it, but have no fear! You should be able to remedy this by yourself by bleeding your radiators – not as violent as it sounds! Follow our steps to find out how….To bleed your radiator means to open a small valve at the top to let any trapped air escape.
- First things first, turn off your central heating to prevent more air entering your central heating system, otherwise you’ll be going round in circles.
- Find your radiator key, you should be able to find this key in that drawer that has remotes for TVs you don’t own anymore and Ikea manuals in it, if you cant find your radiator key, you should be able to buy one at your local DIY store.
They look like this.
- Find the bleed valve, it’s usually placed at one side of the radiator at the top, it looks like a square screw head that will fit perfectly inside your radiator key.
- Place a small cloth around the area where the valve is, this is to catch any water that leaks out during the process, also wrap your hand in something protective as any water that does escape is likely to be hot!
- Using the radiator key like an inverse screw driver, fit it to the valve and carefully and slowly turn it anti-clockwise. You will notice the air starts to escape with a hissing sound, keep going until water begins to dribble out. Once you see water, you will know all the air has been let out.
- Re-tighten the valve to its original position, and clean up any water that escaped during the process, although there shouldn’t be much at all!
- Turn your heating back on and wait for it to get up to temperature, feel your radiator all over – it should be one uniform temperature! There you are – radiators bled, without any violence!