Energy Saving Lightbulbs

Wise Owl Fact Of The Week 
Energy Saving Lightbulbs – CFL

Energy saving light bulbs are known in the industry as ”CFL light bulbs”. CFL stands for ”Compact Fluorescent Light” bulb but you might recognise CFL’s better as the bulb that lives in that random drawer in the kitchen that’s full of other energy saving light bulbs, batteries and remote controls for TVs you don’t own anymore. They were created in response to the fact that in normal lightbulbs only 10% of the energy is used to create light, the remaining 90% of energy creates heat that never gets used.

CFL’s stay in that drawer because they are deemed not as bright as normal bulbs or they take too long to reach full brightness. However, it’s all down to the individual bulb. At the right wattage and given time to warm up properly, energy saving light bulbs can be just as bright as normal bulbs, while simultaneously being 80% more energy efficient and lasting up to 12 times longer. A study conducted in the United States stated “A household that invested $90 in changing 30 normal bulbs to CFLs would save $440 to $1,500 over the five-year life of the bulbs. Look at your utility bill and imagine a 12% discount to estimate the savings”

If you’re trying to save money and live more sustainably, try swapping your standard bulbs for CFL bulbs, compare and switch energy suppliers and look into other more sustainable energy options such as solar and wind power!

Try out the home energy savings calculator now! Use usage estimates if you haven’t got you exact details.

Free comparison service by
SwitchwiseTM | UKPowerTM | UswitchTM

Ready to Check?

You might get a better deal from a different supplier, why not find out?